Have you ever terminated an employee or handled the aftermath of an employee termination? Do you offer severance pay? Do you use severance agreements? When done properly, severance arrangements can be an extremely valuable risk management tool for employers-but you need to be aware of the pitfalls. This webinar will help you learn what you need to know to derive maximum benefit from and avoid the pitfalls associated with severance arrangements.
Why You Should Attend:
When done properly, severance arrangements can be an extremely valuable risk management tool for employers—but you need to be aware of the pitfalls. Many employers think that if they offer severance pay conditioned on certain restrictions that they have eliminated all legal risks, and assume everything is fine—until it’s not.
For example, do you condition severance pay on promises not to sue and other post-termination restrictions? Did you know that you might be contractually obligated to provide severance pay even if you do not have a written agreement? Did you know that your severance agreement may not protect you as much as you think? Or that it may not be enforceable? Is your severance arrangement subject to ERISA laws?
- Common severance myths
- The difference between severance agreements, severance packages and severance plans
- Key elements of a severance agreement and language that should be considered for most severance agreements
- The EEOC and severance agreements
- An overview of the special rules applying to older workers– who are protected by the Older Workers Benefit Protection Act (OBWPA) and what it means to you
- Discrimination Issues
- Affordable Care Act and COBRA Issues
- ERISA considerations
- Human Resources Managers / VPs / Directors
- Benefits Administrator
- CEO / CFO / COO
- General Counsel
- In-House Counsel
- Compensation Officer/Specialist
- Business Owners
- Senior Managers